A question about virtual router on switches

Does anyone know which switch support virtual router function on market? ( i am not talking vrrp) Any benefit to a switch with this feature?

TIA, St.

Reply to
aaabbb16
Loading thread data ...

Inherently, VRF is a layer 3+ feature, and so not found on "switches" (layer 2 devices).

However, market-speak has for several years now been referring to devices that combine layer 2 and layer 3+ services in ASIC as "Layer 3 switches" or (more recently) "Multilayer switches".

These devices are really routers rather than switches, but without as much flexibility as was associated with the word "router". I suppose that rather than call them "restricted routers", a negative connotation, marketing decided to call them "layer 3 switches" (i.e., an -enhancement- rather than a -restriction-).

I know that Cisco offers "Multilayer switches" with VRF, and their "Integrated Series Routers" (1800/2800/3800) have VRF as I recall; those are not very different than "Multilayer switches" except with more flexibility.

I seem to recall seeing VRF facilities in the specs for some of the Nortel 55x0 series "switches".

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.