HSRP: virtual IPs without real IPs?

Hi group,

I googled this but did not find a definitive answer.

Is it possible to have HSRP on an interface of a Cisco, with just the virtual IP address, not a "real" IP address?

I'm asking because a consultant is setting up a new network for us, insisting on many /24 segments. Each of these segments will be routed through a collapsed backbone setup and will probably use HSRP.

Although loosing two addresses in a /24 is not a big deal, I want to know if it is possible, and if it is, is it a good idea.

(Actually due to DHCP redundancy, only half of the addresses can be used, which would mean 125 instead of 126 possible addresses. Whatever)

As far as I can tell, it is simply not possible. IOS simply does not allow it. The 'standby ip' command does not allow a netmask so is tied to the 'ip address' command.

Any thoughts?

Regards, M4

Reply to
Martijn Lievaart
Loading thread data ...

Hi There

Nope, the "Virtual-Address" is bound to the "Physical Address", so you will have to sacrifice 3 address for a redundant HDRP fail-over solution. 1 for SW1, 1 for SW2, 1 for VirtIP. I typically use .254 for Route, and .253/.252 for SW1 and SW2 respectively.

Hope this helps.

Obviously if you have more switches part of the HSRP group, you will require more "physical addresses".

Reply to
Richard Westby-Nunn

have to sacrifice 3 address for a redundant HDRP fail-over solution. 1 for SW1,

1 for SW2, 1 for VirtIP.

Hi, you could use VRRP instead of HSRP. This way you need two ip address only if you are using two router. In vrrp physical address and virtual address can be the same on the master virtual router, e.g. with two router you can get this:

Router A Fasteth0/0 192.168.1.1

Router B Fasteth0/0 192.168.1.2

Virtual IP Address 192.168.1.1

Router A reply to ARP request with virtual mac address. If router A fails, then Router B will become master virtual router.

Regards, Marco

Reply to
Marco Giuliani

have to sacrifice 3 address for a redundant HDRP fail-over solution. 1 for SW1,

1 for SW2, 1 for VirtIP.

You can use addresses from different subnets - work use this to minimise the "burn" of registered IP addresses.

Hi

I think if you use the "real" address for VRRP, there is some wierdness with the MAC addresses - but it is over 10 years since i went thru the standards on this.

We had some major issues with Nortel switches and VRRP - the fix was to not use a physical IP address for the virtual gateway.

Reply to
Stephen

Thanks all for the answers. I got independent confirmation it cannot be done.

VRRP is not an option, I'll just have to reserve the extra addresses in the segment template, where VSS isn't used.

Regards, Martijn

Reply to
Martijn Lievaart

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.