Which equipment?

Hi,

I am upgrading our provider and changing several components of our home network. I am currently using a Linux box as a firewall and am changing to an ISP who are giving me a block of routible IP addresses with a couple of WAN side addresses also. This is only for a home network, but I want to get a bit more in-tune to what I am doing with firewall hardware, and as we use Cisco kit at work, I wanted to see which model would be the most appropriate model to get for such a home network?

I have searched on Ebay and there are a lot to choose from, however, the prices also reflect quality. The Cisco site has given me some pointers, but a lot of the models are upgradable with different add-ons which makes it a bit confusing.

I just want a basic firewall that will allow me to firewall the addresses on the LAN side of the routible IP block.

My ISP can offer me a new Firebrick firewall for £400, or I can stick with the current hardware, which is working fine! I just wanted the challenge!

If there is a more appropriate group then please direct me.

Thanks, Andrew.

Reply to
Andrew Hodgson
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

Have a look at the Cisco 800 series! In particular the 831 (or the newer 851 or 871) routers. They have a lot of neat features (firewall, VPN, even wireless on the newer models) and support your setup. You should be able to get (a new) one for less than £400! My company buys them for ~ ?350 which is approx £250.

Erik

Reply to
Erik Tamminga

I am also looking for a router for this purpose and as we use=20 them at work too ...

I am down to either the 831 or the 851 model ... I dont seem=20 able to find an online supplier of the 851 model in the UK at=20 the moment - are they a very recent release/not in full supply=20 yet?

Other than price, is there any reason to opt for the 831=20 instead of the 851 assuming I can find a supplier of both?

Reply to
jas0n

Hi,

Yes, the 850's and 870's are very very new. They appeared on the cisco site only a few weeks ago. The 850's are a complete new model/design, options for wireless and stuff. They support the latest in encryption protocols in hardware and are a more feature-complete than the 830's. I'd definitely go for the 850's if have to make a choice between 830 and 850 and if you can get a hold on one (assuming the price is affordable). I've heard from other newsgroup postings that fabrication has started, don't know about shipping to resellers. Should happen soon now.

Erik

I am also looking for a router for this purpose and as we use them at work too ...

I am down to either the 831 or the 851 model ... I dont seem able to find an online supplier of the 851 model in the UK at the moment - are they a very recent release/not in full supply yet?

Other than price, is there any reason to opt for the 831 instead of the 851 assuming I can find a supplier of both?

Reply to
Erik Tamminga

Ive ordered an 851, without wireless as I already have a wireless access point.

They gave me a 2 week lead time before they'll get it at which point it will come out to me next day.

Reply to
jas0n

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.