When is a circuit "congested"?

We have had traffic shaping configured on our WAN using the "Bandwidth percent" command.

I understand that the configuration will only become active when the circuit to which it applies becomes congested.

But can anyone tell me what the definition of a congested circuit is?

i.e If a circuit has more than 75% utilisation is it treated as congested?

Cheers

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Ward
Loading thread data ...

Hello,

When the TX ring of the output interface is full. You can set the "tx-ring-limit" parameter to tune this. If you set it to a low value, the QoS mechanisms will become active sooner.

Reply to
Christophe Fillot

Doing so, what about the actual bandwidth available for that interface? That way you activate the mechanism sooner but will the total outgoing throughput be affected? If no the other kind of outgoing traffic, but that specifidied for QoS rules, will flow with more bandwidth; if yes that command can adjust the bandwith for the outgoing traffic.

Is it true what I said? I only argued just to see if I understood correctly the topic. I'll appreciate your reply.

TIA

Alx.

Reply to
AM

The bandwidth is still the same. The difference is in the scheduling of packets being transmitted on the output interface, given the QoS policy. When there is no congestion, packets are transmitted in a FIFO way.

Reply to
Christophe Fillot

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.