What causes first ping to drop?

We have a high speed DS3 connection to a remote location. One of the servers there is for hosting e-mail archiving. After a period of inactivity, the archive client reports a "server time-out" error. The subsequent tries are successful. We have also noted that the first ping after a period of inactivity is dropped but subsequent pings are flawless. What causes this?

I don't think it is an ARP issue because the destination server is a member of the domain and is very chatty. The routers are routing other traffic continuously to the same subnet so the ARP tables should be current.

I'm not sure what to look at next. Help!

Thanks!

Reply to
schulz.brad
Loading thread data ...

arp.

I only saw this "loss of first packet" with missing arp entries.

Reply to
Lutz Donnerhacke

Greetings,

Arp... plain and simple. It is a very common situation. If you think the ARP table is being flushed in your case then you may have an ARP cache overflow somewhere that might give the appearance of an ARP issue.

It is also worth considerig the MAC table limits within your Etherswitches, loading up lower level switches can invite unexpected disasters if traffic density is high.

Cheers...............pk.

Reply to
Peter

Suggest you post the complete network topology for allnetwork devices between the remote server and the archive client

Is the ping being issued

check the setting for ARPO timeout ( default is 4 hours)

CAM table or MAC address table timeout (default os 5 minutes)

check the size of the ARP table on each device

check the size of the CAM or MAC address table on each device in the path

Reply to
Merv

Thanks for the reply's. It looks like the consensious is that it is an ARP problem. The real problem is that the client is not resilient enough to retry, so maybe a static ARP somewhere in the path would fix the problem.

Here are the devices & topology:

1) Clients on Cisco 6506 distribution switches (IOS code) 2) Core 6506 switches running IOS with sup. 720's 3) Cisco 2821 router, 256Mb memory, running 12.3 IOS 4) AT&T DS3 point-to-point through accu-ring to site 100 miles away - 5-6ms latency round-trip. 5) cisco 2821 router identicle to above 6) Cisco 3750 "stack" operating as combined MLS core and server distribution 7) HP DL360 dual-core server directly connected to 3750 stack.

We also have 3 other paths (2x MPLS + 1xVPN) to this site routing via iBGP & eBGP. However, we currently have everything forced to route through the P2P link to keep it simple while troubleshooting.

Thanks again for your help.

Reply to
schulz.brad

Not sure if it is an ARP problem

in the original post you indicated that " After a period of inactivity, the archive client reports a "server time-out" error"

what is the duration of the period of inactivity ? is the server configured to disconnect inactive sessions ? what is the client application - local app or commercial package ? what is the client OS what is the client to server transport protocol - TCP ? is proxy ARP disabled on the 6500 distribution switch facing the client ? does the client have the correct defautt gateway AND subnet mask configured ?

Reply to
Merv

I regard the ARP "problem" that you (OP) describe as normal behaviour.

formatting link
First ping packet loss is to me perfectly normal. I see it every week.

Any reasonable application will recover from this, and any application that uses TCP will recover without needing any work by the programmer.

So, look elsewhere for clues relating to your aplpication's failure. I would consider loading Ethereal on one end of the transaction and having a look at the traffic.

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.