Want to configure primary and secondary routes for up/down stream traffic

I have two Internet connections one of which has a greater downlink speed and the other has a greater uplink speed. They use different IP address blocks and I want to use the greater downlink connection as the DEFAULT outbound route. If the default route is not available I want to use the other connection. Also I want to use the faster uplink connection to receive data.

Details:

I have a Cisco 2600 series with 3 interfaces and Cisco 3500 series switch. The preferred uplink connection connects directly to the Internet and I would use these IP addresses on my external VLAN. I also have an internal VLAN which I would like to connect the faster downlink connection to. The internal VLAN connection is front ended with a Linksys router and uses non-routable IP addresses i.e.

I want to setup the router with real IP addresses for all three interfaces i.e. Internet recognized and I want to connect the internal

192 front ended network directly into the switch.

The servers would have real Internet and 192 addresses multi-homes to the internal and external VLANs on the switch.

QUESTION(S):

Can I set a default route on the router for the directly connected to the Internet and a deffault route on the switch for the 192 connected network?

Would this type of conneciton fail over to the direct Internet connection if the 192 connection was unavailable?

Note: We would use Internet DNS entries to force incoming connections to the direct Internet connection AND HOPE THAT THE SWITCHES DEFAULT ROUTE WOULD CONTROL THE DOWNSTREAM.

Will this work?

Reply to
war_wheelan
Loading thread data ...

After thinking about this a little more, I realize that I can set a default route and a persistent route.

Reply to
war_wheelan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.