WAN Accelerator

Hi,

I'm searching for a tutorial to find a WAN accelerator solution. The network environment is CISCO and I also want to implement a CISCO solution. Are there any solution guides ? I search the CISCO side but I can't find any good tutorials

The reason why I would like to implenent this, there are several performance problems while working over WAN lines (T1) with MS office product.

thanks udo

Reply to
udo
Loading thread data ...

You may wish to investigate Cisco Wide Area Application Engine (WAE) Appliances.

Provide high-performance access to applications, storage, and content across your WAN using the Cisco Wide-Area Application Engine (WAE) portfolio of scalable, low-cost network appliances.

formatting link
For more information, call your local Cisco Pre-Sales Office:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Power Supply Headquarters
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

I really wouldn't limit yourself to the Cisco product range for WAN acceleration. There are a lot of other vendors which have been in this market space for a long time and have far more experience in this field.

Ulitmately, with WAN acceleration, you should evaluate several products in a lab environment and if possible, using your real data.

I have worked with Junipers WX platform (formerly Peribit), Expand and Riverbed. I have also heard really good things about Tacit (recently aquired by Packeteer).

James

Reply to
James

As discussed you should evaluate in your environment with something like nistnet (freeware) to create bandwidth limitations AND latency. I have seen Tacit and it works pretty nicely for file shares. If you are doing MS office (Word, Excel, whatever) file opens saves, etc then it is nice. There are I suspect issues with Access databases for example.

Many of these vendors will give you a 1 month trial against a purchase order (or even without).

We got a free trial from Tacit and went with them. There are a lot of articles on the web.

I have the idea that Riverbed look very strong but they wouldn't give us a free trial (without a PO) and we had already done a lot of work with Tacit and the business were demanding a solution.

We get the occasional problem but it's a LOT better than not having it.

Our issue is latency not bandwidth.

Cisco have a set of test macros that might help. I now forget what they do exactly. IIRC when Tacit found out that I was using Cisco tools on their kit they whipped out their own tools and left me to play with them too.

Oh yes, Cisco have a pre-built nistnet CD. I had already got nistnet working so I didn't use it.

formatting link
Benchmark.

Reply to
Bod43

I couldn't say enough good things about the Riverbed products. We use them here at work.

Reply to
Bob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.