VTP/VLAN and Possible Routing issue?

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with a new network setup here. I have a 6509 with a Sup720 core switch running in hybrid mode and all 3750's for the distribution layer. The 6509 and 3750's are connected with fiber and are dot1q nonegotiate trunks. Trunk links are active and I can ping devices on Vlan1 (private addressing 192.168.1.x/24). When I do a sh vlan on one 3750 (all I have online right now) - I get Vlan 1 and Vlan

130. I should also have Vlan 131. The 6509 is configured as a VTP server and the 3750 is configured as a VTP client - both on the same Domain. This being said, I cannot ping devices on Vlan 130.

So really, I have two issues going on here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Jason

Reply to
rebelangel151
Loading thread data ...

Since it is a new network setup - lose hybrid mode and do not use VTP

Reply to
Merv

Hi Merv,

Thanks for responding. It's been several years since I did a Cisco implementation. The last time I did it, CatOS was still used on switches, not IOS. So I'm sorry if my questions are mundane. :)

I turned off VTP. No big deal. Was just trying to make things easier for myself, but the more I read about VTP, the better turning it off sounded.

If I turn off hybrid mode, do I just configure everything at the Sup720 level then?

Thanks again.

-Jason

Reply to
rebelangel151

VTP really doesn't buy you much. going from CatOS to native can be complicated. You really need to look at the upgrade docs Cisco has.

When you have native, yes, everything is done at the IOS level.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.