VPN setup on IOS

I have to send a 1750 router to a new branch, so we can use peer VPN networking. This one is different for me -- the ISP router has an inside (my side) address of 10.100.18.1. It's expecting me to be

10.100.18.6. The devices on the network are 10.100.18.0 (128 mask -- the other half of the C net is for VOIP).

I'm a generalist here, and am not overly familiar with all the capabilities of IOS. When I try to give the two ports addresses like

10.100.18.6 and 10.100.18.7, the router complains that they overlap.

If someone would be willing to point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

--Milton

Reply to
Milton.Pope
Loading thread data ...

You can not have two Layer-3 ports in the same subnet, as this doesnt make any sense for a router. a router routes between to segments, and inorder for it to work with TCP/IP you need different IP subnet on each interface, inorder to route packet between them. So you will end up with a "link-net" between yout ISP-CPE router, and your own router's outside interface, and then a new IP net on the router inside interface. Also make sure that your ISP will have installed a default NAT rules that forwards EVERYTHING into your routers outside IP.

HTH Martin

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.