VLAN Question

I have always setup VLAN's using a Cisco Switch and Router, however I'm hearing that it's possible to setup a 3560 Switch with multiple VLAN's and also route between the VLAN's.

Is this true or do I still need a Cisco Router?

My guess is that I still need the router.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
tdenham735
Loading thread data ...

Just as a followup, I see that some switches will do L3 routing and a separate module is needed. Would this be a software module to allow "ip enable routing"?

Currently if I enter "ip enable routing" it's not a valid command on the 3560.

Thanks again:)

Reply to
tdenham735

I think that the 3560 switch only allows one active layer3 vlan interface, usually used for management so you would have to trunk vlans to a router to route between them.

The command is 'ip routing', not 'ip enable routing'

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

You can set up vlans on just about any Cisco switch, and can "switch" or route between them (intra-vlan routing)....

formatting link
depending on the IOS image. The command to enable routing in IOS is ip routing.

Lovejoy

Reply to
Lovejoy

Brain stink...I meant "ip routing":(

Seems I need to setup for intra-vlan routing. The link above was broke, or else required special access, however I did find this:

formatting link
Seems like this is what I need to do.

Thanks much Lovejoy!!!

Reply to
tdenham735

That's for older Catalyst switches running CatOS on the switch and IOS on the RSM. Not really relevant to your switch. Completely different product.

Reply to
Chris

Thanks Chris...really appreciate the previous "one active layer3" response too:)

Reply to
tdenham735

He is right. That is an oldie..... Try this one :

formatting link

Lovejoy

Reply to
Lovejoy

Thanks Guys! All is well now:)

Reply to
tdenham735

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.