Catalyst 3560 DHCP on 1 VLAN...

Hi,

Can I configure one of the VLANs on my 3560 to be a DHCP server? For example is it possible to have a VLAN say 192.168.11.x, and when a client connects to that VLAN they are given an IP address in the range

192.168.11.20 to 192.168.11.254? Have configured the switch via network assistant, can't seem to find any reference to DHCP in it.

I'm using inter VLAN routing if that affects anything.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Rich
Loading thread data ...

Do you already have a DHCP server in your network? If so you can use the ip helper command to direct clients to that DHCP server even though it is on a different VLAN. You could just create another scope on the existing DHCP server for the VLAN 192.168.11.X.

Just a thought>?

Reply to
Chad Mahoney

I've got a couple of Windows Server 2003 DHCP servers on different VLANs, does the helper command act as a DHCP relay?

Reply to
Rich

yes it will. Just place the ip helper-address my.dhcp.server.ip

Reply to
Its me Earnest T.

This is how you configure DHCP on a Cisco IOS device:

Start by going to the Cisco website, click on support click on documentation click on Cisco IOS software click on any IOS family that you desire click on Configuration Guides click on Cisco IOS IP Configuration Guide click on "New Feature: DHCP Server - On-Demand Address Pool Manager (12.2(8)T document)" under "Chapter: Configuring DHCP"

=========== Scott Perry =========== Indianapolis, Indiana ________________________________________

Reply to
Scott Perry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.