Finding IP address of new router

hi all,

when confronted with a new router/AP with no documentation, is there a way you can connect to it and find out what its IP address is?

Reply to
GoBruins
Loading thread data ...

the device is a Dlink DWL-900AP+

also, when i connect to it from a PC, do i need a crossover cable?

thanks in advance.

Reply to
GoBruins

When you connect to it does is give your pc an IP address? If so the the Default Gateway is the ip address of the router.

Reply to
gene martinez

thanks for the reply. no - it wasn't set up as a DHCP server. i was able to download the manual and find out what it was, but i was just curious, in the event that i should come across a device that doesn't have DHCP capabilities, and i didn't have access to the net to download manuals, etc.

Reply to
GoBruins

under xp: start-run, type cmd, in the command prompt type: ipconfig/all

Reply to
RBM

"GoBruins" hath wroth:

The default IP address is 192.168.0.50 login: admin no password.

If you punch the reset button, it will reset to this IP address. Of course, all the other settings will be lost. Since you want to "connect" to it with a cable, I presume it's yours. Therefore, a reset would be adviseable.

Yes. You need a crossover cable to a PC. Or, you can plug it into a hub or switch, which uses a normal ethernet cable. Verify that the lights are correct on the dwl-900ap+ and the ethernet card.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I dont think you need a crossover cable... why do you suggest one? Almost every router I have seen is designed to use a straight-thru cable from all of the wired ports. Perhaps trying to plug into the Wan port would require a crossover cable...?

Reply to
Kerry Liles

"Kerry Liles" hath wroth:

Because I had a DWL-900AP+ in front of me. I was setting it up as a client for a neighbor when you asked. I have a crossover cable connected between my PC and the DWL-900AP+ during programming. It works. Photos on request.

The DWL-900AP+ is an access point, not a router. There's only one ethernet port on this access point. It was originally wired to go into a hub or a switch with a straight through cable. Connecting to a PC requires a crossover.

Incidentally, if you're going to attach an external antenna with a RP-SMA connector, the connector doesn't bottom out properly in the receptacle. Unscrew the SMA nut, remove the lockwasher, and replace the nut. Now it fits.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reply to
Airman Thunderbird

Oops... my bad. My apologies. Photos on request - lol. Blush.

Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Liles

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.