Tracking Inactive Ports

I've got a few 24 port 2950's. Just about all ports have cables connected to them, which run to patch panels, which then run to various drops throughout the building. I know that there are some ports out there which don't have end devices connected to them any more. I'd like to track down which of these ports are no longer in use without tracing every cable back to its end destination. Is there any way to check to see how long a port has been inactive for? Any software out there that would monitor this for me?

Thanks

Reply to
Nick
Loading thread data ...

This same question was asked and answered some time ago - google this newsgroup for answer provided by Walter Robinson et al

Reply to
Merv

Unfortunately, even when you spell the name as "Roberson", it is not easy to pull out the relevant posting. As best I can tell, google has lost a large number of my postings :(

The short answer is ... uh, I lost track of the question, as Merv unfortunately failed to quote anything he was replying to.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Not really.

Please see the threads starting from

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I can highly recommend Crannog Netwhere

formatting link
not too badly priced either.

Tracks port usage and MAC to IP to Port mappings.

Or else here's some freebies

Netdisco -

formatting link
- Can be complicated to setup & configure

Switchmap -

formatting link
- easy to setup and I've had this running on Windows 2003 Server. Provides MAC to IP to Port mappings as wells as port usage.

Reply to
SmilerNet

I understand that there are commercial software tools that can help with this. I have no experience with them however an approach that I have used is to periodically clear all the interface

counters "clear counters" and then a couple of weeks later (or whatever interval pleases you) do say "sh int | inc packets|protocol" and any that are zero have not been used. This is OK for a modest number of users. If you are an investment bank with 10,000's of users then this will not do.

The "sh interface" output also includes a "last input" timestamp and there is a standard mib for this too. However - I have found over many years that neither are in the least reliable. YMMV.

Reply to
Bod43

Thanks for the replies, while I'd like to look into some of the above mentioned software, right now the "sh int | inc packets | protocol" command works perfect.

Reply to
Nick

Thanks for everyones help. I'd like to look into some software at one point, but for now the "sh int | inc packets | protocol" command works perfect.

Reply to
Nick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.