The Ping Coomand

Hi,

I'm a new CCNA holder and still a fresh starter. I whould like to the definitions of the following line after issuing the ping command. What does these figures mean?

" round-trip min/avg/max = 4/6/8 ms "

Riyadh.

Reply to
riyadhb2000
Loading thread data ...

Just what it says. The round trip time from the preceding set of pings had the following statistics:

Minimum Round Trip Time (RTT) 4ms Average RTT 6ms Maximum RTT 8 ms.

As for your other question: 4 packets are dropped somewhere. Could be anything. Is it ALWAYS passing with 500 and ALWAYS failing with 1000? Is it the first, last, or middle packets lost?

Reply to
Phillip Remaker

On 11.05.2005 07:35 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote

Well, not so much to tell about. As you might have guessed "min" means "minimum", "avg" means "average" and "max" means "maximum". I.e. 4ms was the minimum round-trip time (rtt), 6ms was the average rtt and 8ms was the maximum rtt.

Note that some tools like MRTG

formatting link
don't show average but mean (see
formatting link
for the difference between (arithmetic) average and mean).

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

Not very long. Are you getting a lot of 'No Reply's' ?

Reply to
Flatch U. Lance

Hi,

The packets are dropping from the last countings. Yes it's always passing with the 500 counting and, always failing the 1000 mark. What could be the reason for this? How do i rectify this issue?

Phillip Remaker wrote:

Reply to
riyadhb2000

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.