switchport effect

I have a 6500/Sup720 (a) connected to a cisco 3500 switch (b)

6500 port like like this. interface FastEthernet2/48 no ip address switchport switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport trunk native vlan 100 switchport mode trunk

interface VLAN 100 ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

3500 port looks like this interface FastEthernet0/10

Please confirm if the following is true.

1. Traffic flowing from the 6500 to the 3500 will be untagged as it is traffic leaving a switchport in the default VLAN
  2. Traffic in VLAN 1 flowing from the 3500 hundred to the 6500 will route to VLAN 100 as it will be tagged from VLAN1 to VLAN 710 on entering the 6500

We are trying to move some equipment off the default VLAN and the 6500 is new, so trying to find a way to work outwards and keep that equipment running.

Gary

Reply to
Gary
Loading thread data ...

Gary, Seems your configuration on FE 2/48 will tag packets into VLAN 100; statement 1 is false. For 2, your posting seems to have been cut off. There is not enough info. Regardless, 2 seems false also. Please try to re-present your information and what you are trying to do.

Reply to
dmcollin

The config is not cut short. The 3500 has no config and is a standard switchport.

I understand that when traffic enters a switchport say in VLAN 100 to a host machine the VLAN tag is dropped as the host does not care about the VLAN. I thought the same happened here so that as traffic exits the 6500 on port 48 it drops the VLAN tag or places the data in VLAN1.

Traffic trying to find the subnet on the 6500 will be tagged VLAN 100 as it is entering the switchport which is like the host sending traffic out?

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.