Switching problem ?

Hi there!

I'm a student in IT and I'm trying to configure a Wireless Hotspot (like to train my self a little bit ;o). I'm facing a strange problem on my wireless hotspot.

This is the current configuration of the network:

Internet | Router eth0: 192.168.27.10 eth1: ISP DHCP client | switch port4 VLAN2 | Switch 192.168.27.4 | port1 Access Point 192.168.27.20 VLAN 1 - Wireless clients gw 192.168.27.10 VLAN 2 - Backbone Can connect to mng and client net; port2 Linux Box for Wireless clients mng - Clients side eth0 10.10.10.1 VLAN1 port3 Linux Box for Wireless clients mng - Backbone connection eth1 192.168.27.1 VLAN2

For mng of the net, the router works as DHCP server for the

192.168.27.0/24 so i can connect through the WiFi connection.

The Linux box acts as DHCP, DNS servers, gw and portal.

The AP broadcasts the hotspot net SSID, but there is also a hidden one for mng.

A week ago everything was ok but the hdd of the Linux box died :oS Fortunately i had made a backup. So i restored the config; It seemed to work fine :

=B0The wireless clients could obtain an Ip address, DHCP and DNS server, and gw values from the Linux box, but after that nothing works.

Meaning...

1=2E Try to ping the client gateway 10.10.10.1, no reply.

-> Linux box : tcpdump -i eth0 nothing comes in.

2=2E Ping 10.10.10.255 : same as above but now the packet comes in eth0, the box replies but nothing comes to the client.

2=2E Plug a client directly to the 10.10.10.1, everything works, client receives IP, can get the portal and have access to the Internet; ping gw OK

3=2E Plug a client to another port on the switch, VLAN1, everything is OK. ping gw OK

I think that the problem is on the switch configuration but how can i check it? Doing a port mirroring of the traffic on port1 and then sniffing the packets?

But then, as i can see the broadcasts can pass through (DHCP transaction series, ping 10.10.10.255) how is it possible and the others cannot? Is there a way of testing it?

Any ideas and advices are welcome ;o)=20

Thanx a lot, Mike

Reply to
dizzy_devil_be
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.