SNMP / monitor device availabilities

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a freeware / open source SNMP program to monitor device availabilities on Cisco switches and routers? I'm looking for something very basic to monitor approximately 50 devices.

We are currently using MRTG to monitor bandwidth across router interfaces.

Surely there must be a similar open source app for monitoring device availabilities that can email alerts?

Many thanks,

Paul

Reply to
thefunnel
Loading thread data ...

I would use nagios to do the trick. I'm not sure if there is an snmp check that comes with it, but it doesn't take much to write a check that will poll a device over snmp.

Kyle

Reply to
Kyle Evans

ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Hi,

MRTG can send emails ( using external scripts ).

Go to MRTG reference documentation, look at something that begins like "Thresh*"

Regards, Gabriele

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

I would recommend nmis. It is very customizble from an alerting perspective and can gather a large number of statistics on polled devices.

formatting link
Scott

Reply to
Scott Fringer

Hi,

He ask for something "very basic" ...

I would use Cacti on Linux. It will do the same job as MRTG with an easy configuration of new device and you can found some "plug-in" to get some alert by mail if I remenber.

I have install the old distribution SENTINIX to do this in my office.(and I have upgrade the cacti stuff to last version) (I monitor 50 devices, Router, Switch, Server, Batteries)

FC

"Kyle Evans" a écrit dans le message de news: erkicc$9o2$ snipped-for-privacy@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu...

Reply to
Gwagwa

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.