Setting a static IP.

I'm sure this is a simple one, but I've been scratching my head.

How do you set a single LAN port on a 837 to be a static IP? I want the other 3 ports to dish out IPs by DHCP, but LAN1 is always going to have the same piece of kit on, and this relies on a static IP to work.

Thanks for any advice...

Reply to
markcockle
Loading thread data ...

Mark,

I may be missing the point of what you are trying to ask, but it sounds like you want any devices on LAN1 to have a static IP. I'm not sure how static you mean; is this going to change every month, once a year, or never. If never, then you may just want to set the devices themselves to have Static IPs and not rely on DHCP for any services. Unless you have DNS or other service information you are using DHCP to deliver. From the sound of it however, you may just want to set these devices up manually.

Reply to
MrRiddles

Mark,

I may be missing the point of what you are trying to ask, but it sounds like you want any devices on LAN1 to have a static IP. I'm not sure how static you mean; is this going to change every month, once a year, or never. If never, then you may just want to set the devices themselves to have Static IPs and not rely on DHCP for any services. Unless you have DNS or other service information you are using DHCP to deliver. From the sound of it however, you may just want to set these devices up manually.

Reply to
MrRiddles

Thanks for that,

You are of course right, we can set a static IP directly on the kit.

But I was wondering if it is possible to define ip ranges to individual LAN ports : Eg - LAN 1 192.168.1.0/29 LAN 2 192.168.2.0/29 LAN 3 192.168.3.1/32

This is more for my own benefit in monitoring the network - it would work equally well with a DHCP across all Ports.

Mark

Reply to
markcockle

I don't know about assigning the sme address to a physical port, but you can create a DHCP reservation based on MAC address, so the same NIC always gets the same address.

Reply to
Wayne

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.