Routing question

PC A|----------R1-------------------R2---------|-----PC B Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3

I just want to clear the basic concept. For the data flow from PC A toward PC B, the source IP and destination IP are always keep the same no matter it is stage 1, stage 2 or stage 3. Only the source and dest MAC addresses will be changed. Am I right?

Thanks

Reply to
a
Loading thread data ...

On 24.05.2007 00:23 a wrote

Go away "a" aka "cheeku" and do your homework on your own.

TIA, Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

I just want to confirm my concept. I am not doing my homework. It is just a yes or no question.

"Arnold Nipper" ???????: snipped-for-privacy@server0.nipper.de...

Reply to
a

Is Arnold implying that "a" aka "cheeku" has a history of being lazy?

OK, the answer is 'No.' I'll spare you a discussion of NAT, ATM, FR etc.

Reply to
RedGrittyBrick

It's a basic concept that is discussed in any "Networking for Dummies" book. Go home, turn off the computer, concentrate on what you read, and understand what you are reading.

HTH

Reply to
brickwalls19

Why my concept is wrong? The following is from

formatting link
Thanks

Switching algorithms is relatively simple; it is the same for most routing protocols. In most cases, a host determines that it must send a packet to another host. Having acquired a router's address by some means, the source host sends a packet addressed specifically to a router's physical (Media Access Control [MAC]-layer) address, this time with the protocol (network layer) address of the destination host.

As it examines the packet's destination protocol address, the router determines that it either knows or does not know how to forward the packet to the next hop. If the router does not know how to forward the packet, it typically drops the packet. If the router knows how to forward the packet, however, it changes the destination physical address to that of the next hop and transmits the packet.

The next hop may be the ultimate destination host. If not, the next hop is usually another router, which executes the same switching decision process. As the packet moves through the internetwork, its physical address changes, but its protocol address remains constant, as illustrated in Figure 5-2.

Reply to
a

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.