Wireless router + wired router = insanity

Someone please help me......

I am running XP and have two routers:

1. Router 1 (R1) is an ADSL modem conected to my PC via an ethernet port - this is for internet access

1. Router 2 (R2) is a wireless router connected to my PC via wireless. Plugged into this router via ethernet is a hard disk - I use this for back up.

And now the problem....

If R1 ONLY is connected, internet access is fine.

If I now enable the wireless and R2 is connected - I loose internet access. I can of course see the external hard disk I use for backup.

I can see what is happening here - but I don't know how to fix it. When R1 is only connected, this is used as the default gateway (192.168.1.1) for the internet connection. As soon as I enable the wireless, this is used as the default gateway (192.168.0.4) - but there is only a hard disk connected to this and hence no internet connection....

So - how do I stop XP from changing from one gateway (192.168.1.1) to another (192.168.0.4) ??

Thanks.

Reply to
phil
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

You have one ADSL modem (bridge) and an other Wireless Acess point or Router.... I can't see two Routers in your setup!.

To solve your problem:

1. Keep R1 IP address as is: 192.168.1.1
  2. Your PC should have two static IP Address like: 192.168.1.2 (UTP) and 192.168.0.5 (wireless) and Disable DHCP client at your PC.
  3. Disable DHCP server from R2 and keep the same IP 192.168.0.4 .

It should work smoothly, unless you have other details to tell.

Naim

formatting link

snipped-for-privacy@philandlaura.com wrote:

Reply to
Panda

Turn off routing in the second device. And/or correct it's routing tables so it doesn't publish itself as offering a default route. What's happening is the PC's trying to use what that wireless router has told it about the network.

ANYTIME you post questions about routers and such, PLEASE post the vendor and model number for them!

But a better question is why do you have two networks like this? There are a number of questions that come to mind but asking them depends on what you think you're trying to accomplish (or are stuck with) by setting things up this way.

So, what type of routers are involved and why are they setup this way?

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.