Router with 2 ethernet ports

Hi,

Is there a router available that has 2 ethernet ports so each port can connect to its own ethernet segment. I suppose similar to RRAS on a miltihomed Windows box, but this would be hardware based.

All the routers I see have 1 ethernet port and serial ports.

We do have a PIX on site and we have used VLANs and PIXs before to kind of route between the 2 subnets but I thought a proper router will do a better job.

Or would you just use a low end router with a single ethernet port and have both subnets assigned to the single interface and then route from there.

Thanks

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan
Loading thread data ...

Cisco has a ton of them, and most are modular to add a number of ports (well at least as many ports as the slots will hold).

You don't really say how much bandwidth you need, but you imply that you really would need 3 ethernet ports. One to come in, two to go out.

2811 with an HWIC would probably be your lowest end one of the current lineup. One that is particularly cheap would be a 7200 with the appropriate PA cards.

Those must be the smallest ones then..

Depends on the situation, and the requirements for the solution. I'd tend to push for a firewall that has enough output ports in the first place, but usually any routers are done for other requirements behind a firewall, such as private WAN links back and forth.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

That was supposed to be particularly cheap used... Generally 7200 new aren't exactly cheap.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Hi Nathan,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco Product Advisor:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant Website:
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

You can fill all available slots of a router with multiport Ethernet modules if want to. Of course you have to be conscious of the routers packets per second (PPS) switching capabilities.

We've just commissioned our first BSDL service which the Telco presents as an Ethernet interface so there's an example of us needing to use an Ethernet-to-Ethernet router right there.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

You can get a router with anywhere from 1 to over 1000 ethernet ports.

formatting link
"Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series 10/100BASE-TX modules scale from 16 ports up to 1152 ports" Such a device might cost say 150k USD.

It is not usual to configure such a device as a 1000 port router and I am not in fact sure that you can give them all seperate addersses each on their own network/subnet but my guess would be that you could indeed do so.

A while back a Cisco router was limited to 255 virtual

• physical interfaces but IIRC that limit was removed some years ago.
Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.