Router redundancy

Quick question, and I will preface this by saying I'm not a Cisco expert, I know just enough to be dangerous.

We currently have 3 T1's through 1 ISP that are multilinked into 1 large 4.5Mbit connection. This is all done at router A. We have a backup router B that is not used currently, and the original plan was to swap out the CSU/DSU WICs if router A ever died. Is there a way to set up an automatic failover to router B through some sort of serial connection between the routers or are we stuck without switching a T1 over to router B to begin with (thus losing our 3rd multilinked T1)?

Thanks for your help!

Mick

Reply to
Mick.Bergman
Loading thread data ...

If you do not have T1s into both routers, and router A fails, you are hosed. If you want full redundancy without manual re-cabling or whatnot, you need to have redundant connections to the destination in the first place. You can create internal LAN redundancy between the two using HSRP and failover routing, but this will do you no good for your internet connection if there is a hardware or interface failure.

Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.