Router choice

Hello

I would like some advice before buying a router.

I need a router for 2x isp 200mps link BGP. Total 400mps. It will handle only 20 servers. Its for streaming audio video.

I see the cisco 2821 Gps. Will this router will handle 400mps bandwith continuously with no problem / packet loss ? I see 3 version "security, telephonyip, integrated service bundle, and normal" wich one to buy ? is there any "data standart" router ? Why the cisco 2921 is more expensive than the cisco 2821 intergated service bundle ? What is the IOS thing ? Thank you.

Reply to
freeway
Loading thread data ...

Probably not, it is only rated for about 2 or 3 T1 lines. But it will depend upon your packet size.

formatting link
The first model in the router list to clear 400+ Mbps is the

7200-NPE-G1, which is not low end (!!). But that's based upon 64 byte packets. 400 Mbps would come out as about 780K pps.

If your average packet length was (say) 256 bytes then if the per-packet overhead is the limiting factor, you'd be doing the equivilent of 1/4 as much work, and would only need to handle about 195K pps, about a busy 2851 or 3745, or a comfortable 3825.

Keep in mind too that you are going to need a gigabit interface to get the data in to the device for routing -- otherwise you'd need

4 x ethernet and you'd then probably start tangling with bridging so that you could do clean server failover, and bridging is not necessarily going to be as fast as routing on those devices.

Depending on the exact features you need, you might find it useful to look into the Catalyst 35x0 or 3750 or 450x or 650x lines -- the

*slowest* of those is rated far faster than you need. For performance figures, substitute 'switch' for 'router' in the URL above.
Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.