Multiple instances of HSRP vs one

Hi All:

It's cisco newbie here and I have a question about the best approach for configuring HSRP v2.

The context of the question is that, overall, we anticipate having about 20 vPCs and 3-400 VLANs. Each VLAN will be associated with two or more vPCs, and we will use HSRP on all of the VLANs so as to provide next hop redundancy.

The question is, should we use 1 HSRP group per VLAN, or should we associate multiple VLANs for every HSRP group? Is there one approach that would optimize the usage of system resources? Is there a limit on how many VLANs can be included in a single HSRP group?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

snipped-for-privacy@ucalgary.ca

Reply to
noc
Loading thread data ...

i have only used this with VLANs where they segregate subnets across sets of switches - the main difference is that the topology of each VLAN can be different depending on fibre faults etc.

HSRP "context" is within 1 subnet, and AIUI you describe multiple VLANs, 1 subnet per vlan. So i think you need 1 or more groups per VLAN. You can re-use the group numbers in each VLAN.

400 VLANs for 20 vPCs does seem a bit backward, but the numbering implies most of them are inactive or idle.....

Is there one approach

Yes - only 1 VLAN :)

Seriously - if all the VLANs are routed together it may not make much sense to complicate life with VLANs.

If you need them for say security segregation, then fine.

Is there a limit on

Never seen it done, so dont know - the acid test is try to configure it.

What you may hit 1st is the number of HSRP instances or VLANs supported on a box.

Note increasing these imply more IP routing / firewall interfaces or VRFs, so you might hit a limit there 1st.

you can expect hardware limits on switches, but it varies by model number. Switches often have a limit as well, although that may just be a cisco "recommendation" (ie where you start to hurt performance, or where cisco think you should spend more money for a faster box).

No substitute for hunting the manuals here, or a bench test if you have the hardware.

Good luck

Reply to
Stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.