Replacing ISP managed router in office

Hi,

We are running the following topology

- 'Demarc' - CSU/DSU - Cisco 2501 Router - Cisco PIX Firewall - 3 x Cisco 2950's - Users/Servers

At the moment, the router is managed by the ISP for a high monthly fee. We are looking into the possibility of managing ourselves.

Am I correct in thinking that the 2501 router will basically advertise our network and also have a default route to the ISP's edge router? For instance;

eigrp 2 network 62.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 ip default-network 217.124.1.0 255.255.255.252 [assuming this is the link between the Cisco router and the ISP's edge router]

Out of curiosity, what is the general routing protocol used between the router at a client's site and the ISP's edge router?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
smokejo
Loading thread data ...

Usually the routing to your ISP will be static unless you are dual homed and have more than one ISP or you have your own AS and address space.

You can usually call your ISP and they can (more than likely) walk you through the setup.

-Wil

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

Reply to
Wil Schultz

Thanks Wil.

Their router will need a static route to our external address range, but since we are using their router as a default route to the internet, our router won't have any static routes configured, just the default route, am I correct? Because the connection between our router and their router is a direct one, this will show up as 'directly connected', hence no need for a static route to them?

I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they saw too.

Reply to
smokejo

Only thing your router needs is a default route pointing to them ( 0.0.0.0

0.0.0.0 X.X.X.X). There exceptions to that rule, i.e. if you have more than one subnet you will need additional routes. Ask your ISP for a copy of your config as it is now, most of them will give it to you. If they ask why, tell them you are having a security audit done and require a copy for the records.
Reply to
Brian V
+1

Or grab yer console cable and go break into it

-Wil

Brian V wrote:

Reply to
Wil Schultz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.