regarding failover in cisco switch using ospf

Here is the scenario:

We have Site A and Site B which have a 100mb LES and a 10MB LES between them. Each site has a Cisco switch capable of routing.

We wish to use the 100MB LES as the primary link between the sites and the 10MB LES if the 100MB LES fails.

We wish to use a dynamic routing protocol to achieve this goal.I think we we OSPF(routing protocol )

Which routing protocol would you use? Why? Can you provide configuration examples?

Thanks & Regards,

AJMAL KHAN

Reply to
ajmalkhan24
Loading thread data ...

LES = LAN Extension Service, right? A telco/carrier provided remote ethernet connection.

OSPF, probably - depends.

OSPF is non-proprietary and easy to set up in simple configurations (though what goes on underneath is far from simple). Use RIPv2 if understanding the way it works is more important than bandwidth, failover time and filtering routing updates.

If you already have OSPF then just enable it on the interfaces you need

- see your own existing configurations.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Hai

I need some example configuration for ospf failover.Otherwise u can send me the link for the same.OSPF is not still configured.

Thanks

Reply to
ajmalkhan24

Presumably your search of Google turned up nothing?

Reply to
alexd

There's nothing special about OSPF and failover. In this case you have one link which is a higher speed than the other and OSPF will use than unless it fails, in which case the second link will take over.

Forgive my suspicious mind, but this is beginning to look a little like a homework project. There's plenty of material on the web about configuring OSPF - try the Cisco web site for a start - so you should be able to figure that out for yourself. If I've misjudged your situation please feel free to come back ask some more.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

I would use EIGRP if your all Cisco. EIGRP is proprietary to Cisco, but if your a Cisco shop it's easier to setup and maintain than OSFP (IMHO).

Here is the most simple config.

router EIGRP 10 (This can be any number, but must be the same on all routers) network 10.0.0.0 no auto-summary redistribute connected

You will need a network statement that encompasses all of the interfaces that you want EIGRP to run on, if all of your interfaces are 10.x.x.x the above statement will work for any "10" network.

Reply to
Thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.