question about eigrp

hi all...me..agian!

I just noticed on my core wan router that eigrp is configured like the following:

router eigrp 1 redistribute connected redistribute static network 0.0.0.0 default-metric 256 1000 255 128 1500 no auto-summary

I have never used EIGRP, and it seems a little weird that it is needed for the inside of my network. When I do a "show ip route" two of the routes that show up are by EIGRP as follows:

D [90/28416] via , 7w0d, FastEthernet0/1

I am slightly confused as EIGRP shows up nowhere else in my lan or wan. could this be left from an old config? everything else on my network is done by static addresses.

Reply to
rhltechie
Loading thread data ...

Issue the "show ip eigrp neighbors" command on your core wan router to see who the EIGRP neighbor is that this router is learning routes from. That your routing table had an entry prefixed with a "D" indicates that there is certainly a EIGRP neighbor that is advertising routes to this router.

Cisco da Gama

formatting link

Reply to
ciscodagama

ok, so here is the deal. I have a 4507 as my core switching, and one of the vlan interfaces is a neighbor to the core router. when i get a config from the 4507 it has the following:

router eigrp 1 passive-interface Vlan1 passive-interface Vlan8 passive-interface Vlan250 passive-interface Loopback100 network network network no auto-summary no eigrp log-neighbor-changes

When I issue the same show command on the 4507, it replies back with the only neighbor being the lan int of the core router.

why is this needed? Can i not use static routes as the rest of the network is using?

Reply to
rhltechie

OK so the mystery of where the EIGRP routes were coming from is solved.

You could certainly use a static route instead of using EIGRP here and make it work if that is what you wanted to do. However note that generally speaking using static routes alone instead of dynamic routing protocols in production networks is usually not a good idea. Your question now is one regarding good design for your network and it is hard to answer that question without knowing the network much better.

Cisco da Gama

formatting link

Reply to
ciscodagama

We have a very small network in the grand scheme of things. From what I can tell, eigrp is only used within the lan here and not out to our wan, so i am still slightly confused as to why we even need a routing protocol. this is probably only for the routing between vlans i would guess?

Reply to
rhltechie

think my post got lost...trying again, sorry if this reposts.

We have a small network in scheme of things. looks like the eigrp is doing the intervlan routing is my assumption. i could also just use ip route statements on both the router and switch correct?

i inherited this network and am just trying to make sense of it all....guess we always try to get away from things we dont know! suppose i will just dive into eigrp so it makes more sense.

Reply to
rhltechie

We have a very small network in the grand scheme of things. From what I can tell, eigrp is only used within the lan here and not out to our wan, so i am still slightly confused as to why we even need a routing protocol. this is probably only for the routing between vlans i would guess?

but i could achive the same thing with something like the following correct?

switch ip route

router ip route

I guess I am just looking for an understandind as i inherited this network. i have never used eigrp and we always try to get away from what we dont know yet! lol

Reply to
rhltechie

EIGRP is a very simple protocol to implement and it functions quite well

Using static routs as a substitue for a dynmaic protocol is NOT a good plan.

In fact it is usually one of the surest ways to end up creting routing loops...

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.