IP Address, MX Record, A Record Question

Hi,

This is kind of a dumb question but I want to see if I can do this. I have a single server running my domain and my exchange server. I have a name for it inside the company, say server1.mydomain.com

Now when I create an MX record, do I have to use the server1.mydomain.com, or can I just create an MX record for mail.mydomain.com, then an A record to reflect the IP address of mail.mydomain.com to the same IP as server1.mydomain.com. Though the server is not named mail.mydomain.com, the records will still point to the same IP.

This will work won't it?

So what I would have is my mail.myserver.com A record point to a public IP that is static NAT to the internal server.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
K.J. 44
Loading thread data ...

Sounds good to me... You may want to change the name on your SMTP connector to reflect the A record you are creating.

Reply to
Chad Mahoney

Yes, as long as you do it that way. The host named in an MX record must not be a CNAME, so don't try

mail.mydomain.com IN CNAME server1.mydomain.com

but it is quite valid to have multiple A records that have the same IP.

Note, however, that especially if it is your outgoing mail server, then hosts will do reverse DNS on the address, and some of them might complain if the names do not match. You're probably fine as long as the forward and reverse are in the same subdomain, but if they are in completely different domains then various anti-spam systems would refuse the email.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.