Powering Cisco phones from non-Cisco switches/injectors

I've noticed that the majority of 802.3af PoE-compliant equipment out there will NOT work with Cisco 7905, 7912, 7940 and 7960 IP phones. D-Link PoE switches and ZyXEL injectors, for instance, do not work.

However, some equipment do work (provided one makes a "PoE crossover cable" for the 7940/60), like the 3Com PW130 and Dell switches w/PoE.

So I wonder:

1. Is there a list somewhere of non-Cisco equipment that do work with these phones? Some advertise support for the CDP protocol, but even without CDP support, some PoE injectors still work ("dumb" units that basically provide power no matter what).

1. Is there something I can do to make 802.3af switches/injectors provide power to non-802.3af compliant equipment? Say, a hardware mod to "fool" the discovery protocol? According to the specs, it would seem that a 25kohm resistor across 1-3 (or 2-3 or 3-6) ought to do it.

Reply to
KR
Loading thread data ...

Panduit has mid-span patch panels (pretty nice for old legacy stuff, like I had to deal with), compatible with old inline powered Cisco devices (as well as 802.3af, of course):

formatting link
HTH, Papi

Reply to
papi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.