power outage- can I get around it?

Hello,

We have a situation where a remote network of ours at a hosting facility will be down for one day as all the hosts will not have power(over 2 floors) I want to redirect all traffic ultimately to one server here running a maintainence page so that any web traffic will have maintainence page. Our ISP's router will not be down during the day as it is in another floor. Question is as follows

1) Can i ask the isp to add a static route on their router to redirect all the traffic to my router here? 2) As the destination address would not physically exists on our network - I guess I would have to perform some sort of nat to fool it that it is so could I - perform some nat on my router so that all destination ips would get translated to one ip(of the webserver running the maintainence page), then I guess I would have to make sure traffic is returned to the isp's router by putting in a policy based route so the router would route all traffic back to the isp's router based on the source address of the webserver(that was just natted), instead of its default one.

How do other people get round this type of problem? If we change dns then it is about 500 urls I dont want to change if I can avoid it. All routers are cisco 2621 and 2505

Thanks

Reply to
cconnell_1
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Matt

Sorry forgot to answer this question in my previous post. People get around this by A) choosing hosting providers that have redundant power and a/c feeds into their data centers, and by choosing hosting providers who care enough to have a generator! There is no excuse for not having power to a data center. We just went through a power outage here where I work and had no issues, as we have a generator. PPL turned their power off to do work.. lights went out.. server room hummed along and looked kinda pretty... B) if you are the hosting provider, then providing a power backup generator if things are really that important.. or worst case.. get a little generator and run a tiny little apache machine with a maintance page.. run your core router and maybe a switch and that machine.

Reply to
Matt

A static route won't do it, because TCP/IP is routed hop-by-hop. So

*every* router along the path would have to have static routes.

A better solution might be to create an IP-in-IP tunnel from the hosting ISP to your router, and configure a static route that points to this tunnel.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

Thankyou, I do understand now, that there would be difficulties as every router in between would need a static route for it to work. I am interested to learn about IP-in-IP tunnel, where can I learn more about it? - does it have another common name?

Reply to
cconnell_1

If you tell your provider you would like to use a GRE tunnel, they will know what you mean.

Changing the DNS entry is also a hit-n-miss because you can't control the propagation across the world.

Another possibility would be to ask your provider to NAT it for you. Have them NAT the existin address to your new address for the day.

I'd seriously consider a new hosting facility.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Ok I will ask about GRE. Regarding the comment with DNS, I have noticed that doing this way is never reliable either as you said but Im not quite sure why, is it because of the way some big ISP dns servers refresh their cache or something? Our ttl on the domain is 4 hours, so if I changed it to 10 minutes, I would have thought after 4 hours the world will see the new ttl, then it should mean that all the domain entries have a life of 10 minutes, then they are refreshed from the authoritative server. So if I set a url to one ip, then set it to anther, updated the dns, the change should be seen around the world after 10 mins.

customers have to wait a few hours, or restart their dns server.

Reply to
cconnell_1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.