Serious question: Why can Samsung & MediaTek get around Qualcomm 5G modem patents - yet Apple can't?

Why can Samsung & MediaTek & Huawei get around Qualcomm 5G modem patents - yet Apple can't?

This is a serious question, for adults only, which is why the Apple ng's aren't on it (the iKooks blame everyone but Apple, for example).

How can Qualcomm & MediaTek (and in some says, Huawei) get around Qualcomm

5G modem patents - and Apple can't?

Intelligent people use adult cognitive skills to assess disjoint facts.

FACT #1: Someone posted a Supreme Court decision this week that Apple lost where Apple argued the Qualcomm patents expiring in 2029 were holding them back.

formatting link

FACT #2: Later this week, Ming-Chi Kuo published investor advice saying, literally, Apple "failed" at making a 5G modem (hence Qualcomm stock rose appreciably).

formatting link

FACT #3: In response to Ming-Chi Kuo, known Apple defenders publish clarifications that it's not a "failure to design", but just a "failure to deliver".

formatting link

OK. Fair enough. a. Apple tells the Supreme Court Qualcomm 5G patents are holding them back b. This week, Apple loses that bid to nullify those 5G modem patents c. Soon thereafter, Ming-Chi Kuo reports Apple "failed" on their 5G modem c. Yet patent insiders say it's only the patents holding Apple design up

What do you make of these disjoint facts, coupled with the facts that: A. Samsung makes 5G modems B. MediaTek makes 5G modems C. Huawei makes 5G modems

How do _they_ get around those Qualcomm 5G modem patents then?

Adults need to put disjoint facts together until it all makes sense. Hence... the obvious question to ask is...

How can Samsung & MediaTek (& perhaps Huawei also) get around those two Qualcomm 5G modem patents which expire in 2029 - yet Apple can't?

Reply to
Andy Burnelli
Loading thread data ...

Before you ask "Why?"...

...you should ask "If".

'Qualcomm announced a licensing agreement with Samsung that the company said stretches through 2023 and includes 5G technologies.'

formatting link
Reply to
Alan

Do any of them belong to a 'patent pool'?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have to openly admit, time & again, you're more knowledgeable than I. *Who Owns Core 5G Patents?*

formatting link

Given patents are holding Apple back (but not Samsung, MediaTek & Hauwei): "The issue with Apple's 5G chip being delayed is a legal matter over patents and a licensing agreement with Qualcomm and not because Apple's 5G chip development has failed in any way."

formatting link

Let's start with the definition of a Patent Pool:

formatting link
"Patent pools collect patents from multiple patentees and license them out as a package."
formatting link

Digging into what the 5G patent pools are is a tricky area indeed.

formatting link

The question is whether or not Samsung, MediaTek, & Hauwei own sufficient patents in those patent pools, or, if they license patents from Qualcomm.

Huawei is the leader in 5G patents, surprisingly, followed by Samsung: "Huawei is leading with the most declared 5G patents i.e. 3007 patent families followed by Samsung and LG with 2317 and 2147 patent families respectively. Nokia is following LG and secured the 4th position with 2047 patent families, while Ericsson and Qualcomm have 5th and 6th place."

However, Qualcomm must have some key patents since This says Huawei licenses the technology from Qualcomm (like Apple): "Both Apple and Huawei... entered into new multi-year licensing partnerships with Qualcomm and paid a hefty lump-sum payment as per the settlement agreement"

formatting link

This also supports the premise that Huawei is the leader in 5G patents:

formatting link

Notice though that Apple is clearly well behind basically just about everyone, even with the huge surge in patents Apple bought from Intel for about the price of yet another fully equipped modern aircraft carrier.

formatting link

But, obviously, based on the Supreme Court ruling this week, there are at least two critical Qualcomm patents that Apple is _desperate_ to override.

formatting link

There's a more detailed analysis of this week's Supreme Court decision here

formatting link
which tells us that the two patents in question are the following:

1. (U.S. Patent No. 7,844,037 on a "method and device for enabling message responses to incoming phone calls"; originally obtained by Palm)
  2. (U.S. Patent 8,683,362 on a "card metaphor for activities in a computing device"). Apparently both of which expire in August, 2029.

(As a related aside, that article says Apple is always behind in technology but that they advertise their way out of it, which is what Apple does now.

The interesting part of _that_ analysis was that even if Apple makes their own modems, Qualcomm can come after them for patent infringement, which supports my theory that the problem isn't that Apple failed - but that Qualcomm has the patents.

This article below also says Apple is always behind in 4G & 5G technology:

formatting link

That still leaves Samsung, Huawei & MediaTek to be better understood as to how _they_ can make modems, but not Apple.

I'll dig into them directly, but I didn't see, on my first skim anyway, that the "patent pools" affected the companies we're speaking about.

Reply to
Andy Burnelli

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.