Policy routing over ethernet

Hello,

This is the scenario: Two cisco routers (routerA, and routerB), connected via ethernet ports using a simple L2 switch (or just a simle hub but no cross cable) in between them.

I want to policy route some ip packets from routerA to routerB via ethernet, only if routerB is up and working. Since the L2 switch always make routerA 's ethernet port up, routerA never learns the actual situation of routerB and always policy routes the filtered packets to the ethernet port. The result: packets are lost.

Is there any way make "policy route" mechanism behave more intelligent?

Reply to
Bulent Karamanlioglu
Loading thread data ...

Hi.

An option is to use a dynamic routing protocol like OSPF so you can have a neighbor relationship. Why are you policy routing?

Simon

Reply to
charliesjt

Thx Simon, Yes, for all packets to be routed in between routers I have been using OSPF.

I want some specific packets (hunted by ACL) to be routed via ethernet path and some others via routing table. I beleive the only way is using policy route. It is working but if router B on the ethernet segment is down, router A still forwarding hunted packets to the ethernet and this is the case I do not want. It should behave more intelligent.

Reply to
Bulent Karamanlioglu

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.