policy based routing problem

Hello all,

I would appreciate if anyone can help me on this.. I have a 2811 with two connections to Internet, Frame Relay and ADSL. One part of LAN IP adresses will go via Frame Relay and other via ADSL to Internet. For this, I will use policy-based routing feature. But, the problem is when Frame Relay fails I want that all users go via ADSL to Internet. Can I do it using two same route-map with different sequence, like the example below:

access-list 3 permit 192.168.0.10 route-map ivana permit 10 match ip address 3 set interface Serial0/3/0 ! route-map ivana permit 20 match ip address 3 set interface FastEthernet0/1

So, initially LAN ip address 192.168.0.10 will go via serial interface, and when it fails, it will go via ethernet (ADSL).... If it is not working on that way, please suggest me how to make it work.

Thanks, Ivana

Reply to
Ivana
Loading thread data ...

No, you can't do it that way. Search for SAA (ping) based routing on CCO.

Reply to
Ivan Ostreš

Why not? That's possible to do with NAT & mentioned route-maps

Reply to
Aleksandr Kuzminsky1882256634

Yes, but how will router know when DSL link is down since it won't put down your ethernet interface?

Reply to
Ivan Ostreš

Hm.. I suppose, Ivana has ADSL module in 2800. If not - SAA or BGP are acceptable solutions.

Reply to

I don't suppose she has ADSL module in router, since she is in Croatia (me too) so it is not possible to have such combination due to our telecom ;-).

Reply to
Ivan Ostreš

Just interesting, what's wrong with your telecom? :)

Reply to

Well, they want to made you rent their CPE (mostly Siemens ADSL modems), and they can do it since they have monopol on all "wires".

Reply to
Ivan Ostreš

Thanks for suggestion. Now I am having a problem with command syntax. First thing I tried:

1.) I want to track the state of line protocol on ethernet interface with command: track 1 interface FastEthernet0/1 line-protocol and then I have to include this state in route-map route-map ivana permit 10 set ip next-hop verify-availability ? 10 track 1 This is a problem, because I don't have the ip address of next-hop (fixed and I cannot set just the name of outgoing interface

2.)Second way:

track 124 rtr 2 reachability

rtr 2 type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 216.239.59.104 rtr schedule 2 life forever start-time now

and route-map set ip next-hop verify-availability ? 10 track 124

Same problem appears again...

Am I missing something, or there is no possibility to backup adsl users?

Thanks, Ivana

Reply to
Ivana

You're missing something since I've done that few months ago. You will have additional problem that NAT statements will stay in translation table after you reroute traffic and you'll need to flush them because users will not be able to connect using backup connectivity. It's actually a really complex issue to solve (I've used TCL in IOS and some other mechanisms).

Reply to
Ivan Ostreš

I think I have solution, but unfortunately I don't have a chance to test FR also...so I don't know if it will work...especially because it is too simple:). If I configure route-map on the following way:

route-map ivana permit 10 match ip address 3 set default interface Serial0/3/0 Dialer1

With this command I can go to the internet over ADSL (tested), so I was thinking if FR was active, I would go via serial interface....am I right?

Regarding NAT translations you mentioned, when users start a new session over backup link on the internet, problem would be solved?

Thanks, Ivana

Reply to
Ivana

Yes, but "reload" in Internet Explorer will NOT start a new session and would use the existing NAT translations. That is the main problem.

Reply to
Ivan Ostreš

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.