Please help with password on PIX 501

I know asking for passwords is a common theme, and I've tried to get the answer from the internet and on Cisco's website, but the problem is we have no information to start with. We don't know the PIX software version or anything.

Our internet provider installed this PIX 501 several years ago. Now they are under new ownership, and they evidently cannot provide the passwords. We would like to use it, however. But what can we do, since we do not know the version?

thank you,

jm

Reply to
JM
Loading thread data ...

If I recall correctly, if you watch the console port (9600 8N1) during bootup, the PIX software version number will be mentioned.

If you had to guess at a version, guess 6.2. The PIX 501 did not exist until 6.1(1), but 6.1 was not really a long lasting release and due to security problems and improved functionality, most sites would have gone to 6.2. If they haven't been actively maintaining the PIX, they might not have upgraded to PIX 6.3 -- which has also been out for a few years now. I'm estimating that "several years" likely places it at 6.2, with 6.3 as a possible.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

You may wish to investigate Cisco PIX Password Recovery:

formatting link
For step by step instruction.

Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Power Supply Headquarters
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.