PIX - NAT order.

Hi guys,

I'm implementing NAT rules on my PIX 525 ( 6.3.(4) ). I'd like to know whether NAT 0 is done before or after static (intf1, intf2) .....

I created a NAT 0 rule using nested group both for source and destinations. For same combination of source /destinations I would want to override that rule doing a specific static NAT. Is it possible?

Or must I remove those particular combinations from NAT 0?

TIA,

Alex.

Reply to
AM
Loading thread data ...

Check this page out -

formatting link
This is for the FWSM, but I believe the NAT rules are evaluated in the same order for the PIX.

The short answer to your question is, the static will tke precedence over the NAT.

-K

===

Hi guys,

I'm implementing NAT rules on my PIX 525 ( 6.3.(4) ). I'd like to know whether NAT 0 is done before or after static (intf1, intf2) .....

I created a NAT 0 rule using nested group both for source and destinations. For same combination of source /destinations I would want to override that rule doing a specific static NAT. Is it possible?

Or must I remove those particular combinations from NAT 0?

TIA,

Alex.

Reply to
Kevin Widner

The order of operations for PIX 6.3 is given a couple of times in the reference manual, such as under the 'static' command.

formatting link
nat 0 access-list has the highest priority; regular static (no ports, no ACL) is the second highest priority. Regular nat is the lowest priority, and that includes identity nat (nat 0 that is not access-list).

If you have a flow designated via nat 0 access-list then other kinds of nat/static will not be checked for anything that matches that flow.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.