PIX NAT Type?

Can anyone tell me what NAT type implementation is used on a Cisco PIX? NAT implementation types as defined RFC 2663 Full Cone NAT, Restricted Cone, Port Restricted Cone and Symmetric

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Place_lio
Loading thread data ...

In article , Place_lion wrote: :Can anyone tell me what NAT type implementation is used on a Cisco PIX? : NAT implementation types as defined RFC 2663 :Full Cone NAT, Restricted Cone, Port Restricted Cone and Symmetric

Hmmm, I've never encountered those terms before, and the word 'cone' does not appear anywhere in RFC 2663!

Looking at the RFC, the answer is that the PIX implements:

4.1 traditional nat 4.1.1 basic nat 4.1.2 network address port translation 4.2 bi-direcitonal nat 4.3 twice-nat 4.4 [limited] multihomed nat

-- multihomed via OSPF support, but flow state is not necessarily preserved if a different interface is used

-- fail-safe is supported except on the 501, 506/506e [and possibly some older devices]

The 'cone' nat wordings have to do with the STUN (serial tunnel) RFC 3489. Looking at the descriptions on the voip-info.org wiki, the PIX supports Full Cone, Restricted Cone, Port Restricted Cone, Symmetric, and other important types not listed there.

The NAT varieties described for STUN do not allow for the possibility that one might get a different translation when going to the same outside location. The whole cone series of descriptions are a bit skewed. The RFC 2663 descriptions are a better match for reality.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.