PIX Hardware problems

Hi there

Hopefully someone can help here.

We just bought a PIX 506 from ebay for practice.

When we first switched it on, we could hear the fan powering up and running but the Power LED was not lit. Although the Network LED would flash time to time.

After rebooting a couple of times, it switched on fine and we were able to console into it.

We then took it out of service for about 2 hours and powered it down. Again, when powering up we had the same problem.

It has been running fine now for about 4 hours, we have rebooted it and it has come straight back up again.

Is it not unusual for older PIX'es to have this issue when being powered up after hours of non-use. Before we purchased it, it would have been dead for a couple of weeks.

Alternatively, has anyone experienced this problem before?

Whilst I am here, we need to upgrade the IOS to a newer version - it's running 6.1(1). Whilst I am waiting for Cisco to come back to me, does anyone know if upgrades to PIX IOS's are free (say, so long as is it is not the latest version) or do we have to pay?

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
dilan.weerasinghe
Loading thread data ...

You may wish to investigate Cisco PIX Hardware Troubleshooting:

formatting link
As well as Cisco Software Relicensing For Used Cisco Units:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese Cisco Repair

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Saving myself some typing here:

formatting link
In your case, I think the part number is LL-PIX-506-3DES but I'm not certain on that -- the "natural" part number would be LL-PIX-506-SW but that is not in Cisco's tables. Unfortunately I don't find anyone selling the part so I can't estimate the cost.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Brad, is LL-PIX-506-3DES just the 3DES relicense (remember, that used to cost itself), or is it the generalized relicense, which uses the pattern LL-PIX-*-SW* for every other model?

Note that the LL-PIX-501-3DES is not the generalized relicense for the 501: there are LL-PIX-501-SW-* for each of the user limits. This suggests that LL-PIX-506-3DES is literally just 3DES. There is no LL-PIX-506-SW part to be found in any table I can see.

Unfortuntely Cisco's site is quite bad for finding information about relicensing, even when you know that that's the term that Cisco uses!

Reply to
Walter Roberson

PIX-SW-UPGRADE= PIX Software one-time upgrade for nonsupport customers.

List Price: $1,000

-------------------------------------------------

LL-PIX-501-3DES PIX 501 168-bit 3DES IPSec Software License LL-PIX-501-SW-10 PIX 501 10 User Software License LL-PIX-501-SW-50 PIX 501 50 User Software License LL-PIX-506-3DES PIX 506 3DES Software License LL-PIX-515-SW-FO PIX 515 Failover Software License LL-PIX-515-SW-R PIX 515 Restricted Function Software License LL-PIX-515-SW-UR PIX 515 Unrestricted Function Software License LL-PIX-520-FO PIX Classic,10K,510,520 Failover License LL-PIX-520-SW-128 PIX Classic,10K,510,520 Entry Level License LL-PIX-520-SW-1K PIX Classic,10K,510,520 Midrange License LL-PIX-520-SW-UR PIX Classic,10K,510,520 Unrestricted License LL-PIX-525-SW-FO PIX 525 Failover Software License LL-PIX-525-SW-R PIX 525 Restricted Function Software License LL-PIX-525-SW-UR PIX 525 Unrestricted Function Software License LL-PIX-535-SW-FO PIX 535 Failover Software License LL-PIX-535-SW-R PIX 535 Restricted Function Software License LL-PIX-535-SW-UR PIX 535 Unrestricted Function Software License LL-PIX-VPN-DES PIX 56-bit DES IPSec Software License

formatting link

PIX 501 10 User Platform License LL-PIX-501-SW-10 List Price: $195

PIX 515/515E Failover Platform License LL-PIX-515-SW-FO List Price: $495

PIX Classic, 10K, 510, 520 Failover License LL-PIX-520-FO List Price: $795

PIX Classic, 10K, 510, 520 Entry Level License LL-PIX-520-SW-128 List Price: $1,995

PIX Classic, 10K, 510, 520 Midrange License LL-PIX-520-SW-1K List Price: $3,295

PIX Classic, 10K, 510, 520 Unrestricted License LL-PIX-520-SW-UR List Price: $7,395

PIX 525 Failover Platform License LL-PIX-525-SW-FO List Price: $995

PIX 56-bit DES IPSec Software License LL-PIX-VPN-DES List Price: $1

Sincerely,

Brad Reese Cisco eBay Repair Service

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Hmmm, the LL-PIX-506-SW relicense option still seems to be missing in action.

Old discussions of relicensing indicated that all it got you was the right to use the software, and that it was a prerequisite to getting support or upgrades [if, that is, you are starting with equipment for which the license has not been transfered under one of Cisco's bought-the-company exemptions].

I had a brief look at the description of the relicensing program a few minutes ago and it indicated that the price would generally be set at the price of a new license... but it didn't say anything about it entitling you to an up-to-date version of the software.

Do you have information about that part, Brad? Would paying the relicense alone get the OP from 6.1 to 6.5 [the latest supported on the

506] ? Or would the OP have to pay the relicense and then pay the PIX-SW-UPGRADE to get something newer than the version they would then be entitled to upgrade to by using the free upgrades offered by the PIX Security Advisories ?
Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hi Walter,

Rather than purchase Cisco Part Number:

PIX-SW-UPGRADE=

PIX Software one-time upgrade for nonsupport customers

List Price: $1,000

It appears the more economical way of getting an upgrade to a newer version of software is by going under a Cisco SMARTnet 8x5 Nextday contract:

CON-SNT-PIX506BN

List Price: $112

However, it may require getting Cisco to "inspect" the PIX unit.

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese Cisco Power Supply Headquarters

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.