PIX and Nokia Communicator 9500/9300(i)

It seems that the only Cisco products that Nokia officially supports are the Cisco VPN 3000 Series Concentrators. However with a little help from Nokia I did succeed in making Nokia VPN client work with PIX 6.3(5). So I decided to post some instructions.

In PIX I used a simple configuration with pre-shared keys, DES, MD5 and Diffie-Hellman goup 2, but Nokia's client supports also the alternatives (3DES, AES, SHA-1, 1536-bit groups, NAT-Traversal etc.).

The hard part is the phone and the hardest part was finding how you should begin. Basically you'll need:

- Nokia Communicator 9500/9300(i)

- Nokia PC Suite program for your Communicator (usually comes with the phone)

- Nokia VPN Client for your Communicator (downloadable from Nokia's pages)

- MAKESIS.EXE - a command line program for creating Symbian Software Installation (SIS) files. I don't know how you can get this easily. I had to download a 127 MB Symbian SDK from

formatting link
to get this program (size about 300 kB).

- a text editor like Notepad

Then you create three text files (below), put them in the same folder as MAKESIS.EXE, run

makesis VPN-policy-preshared-Cisco.pkg

to create the SIS installation pakage and install the pakage into your phone. Finally you create a new VPN Access Point in your phone, select the VPN policy you just installed to the new VPN Access Point and you are ready.

The three text files are

VPN-policy-preshared-Cisco.pin VPN-policy-preshared-Cisco.pol VPN-policy-preshared-Cisco.pkg

The contents of the files you can see below. Note that you must edit the .pol file to match the configuration of your PIX. I have added comments to the .pol file and marked them with a star (*). Remove the comments.

Reply to
Jyri Korhonen
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.