PIX 535

Hallo,

i have two questions about the PIX 535. first: is it possible to backup the configuration? second: in what formats can i export the reports?

thanks a lot!

greetings Philipp Roos

Reply to
Philipp Roos
Loading thread data ...

Yes. In PIX 5 and PIX 6, you copy the configuration to a TFTP server. In PIX 7, you have the additional option of keeping several different configurations simultaneously (i.e., a filesystem.)

The only things that the PIX produces that might be called reports, cannot be exported.

The PIX can send standard syslog messages. syslog is -nearly- a pure text format, except that a couple of bytes in each message have values encoded in binary.

The PIX can produce information about memory usage, in text, but you really have to know the PIX well to get any benefit from looking at that information.

The PIX can record some historical traffic information. That information can be displayed as text, but the format is not intended to be nicely formatted. Instead the primary use for this information is by the GUI interface PDM (PIX 5, PIX 6) or ASDM (PIX 7), which has its own back-door to get the information from the PIX. PDM and ASDM can produce some graphs; I don't know if those graphs can be exported from the GUIs as I never found anything interesting in them to make it worth the bother of even considering exporting the data.

PIX supports SNMP, and so can be accessed by standard programs such as MRTG. PIX 7 noticably expands the useful information so available.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.