PIX 515E CPU util at 98% with a compromised system on inside network

Hi all,

I am looking for recommendation on how to prevent a repeat of a recent episode on one of the networks I support.

Pix 515E running 6.3(3) unrestricted. 3 inside networks. DMZ1, DMZ2, and Inside. All inside networks use a 172.16.x.x ip address space. The physical medium for all inside networks is switched 100 Mbps ethernet. Outside connects to a dual bonded T1 via a cisco 2600.

Inside has the highest security level. Then DMZ1 and DMZ2.

An old linux web server on DMZ2 not under our direct control (and probably never will be because of political reasons) gets compromised thru a php hack and causes a syn flood. That results in the Pix with

98% CPU util and it stops responding to requests from other inside networks resulting in a DoS to the other inside networks. Packets were being dumped at the DMZ2 interface at 70~80 Mbps.

The embryonic connection limit feature doesn't help here because it cannot be applied for outside NAT. And even if it did work it wouldn't help in this case because the embryonic connection limit does nothing to protect the Pix against high CPU util.

What are my options if all I have is this one Pix to work with. Force the DMZ2 interface to 10baseT. That may help with the CPU utilization but what about my 3 Mbps WAN pipe? Any other way to do rate limiting? Is PIX os 7 the answer?

Thanks,

Shahid

Reply to
shahidsheikh....com
Loading thread data ...

Simple... turn the Linux box off.

Seriously, if you've got a known vulnerable web server that nobody has the guts to fix, it's time to either turn it off or pack up and piss off, because you aren't being allowed to do your job.

Reply to
Mark Lar

could it be that log-rates are killing you ? If so apply log rate limit

And in general terms: Kill the server - it's compromised - You can not risk getting your own IP's getting abuse repported on the outside world, just because you have a shitty sys-admin What would you think your Management will say, if they got word that the company name was reportted together with hacking abuses ??

HTH' Martin

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

Another thought might be that you're exhausting your NAT translation entry limit. I had a host get infected with a worm and because it was spawning so many connections so fast, the logs indicated that additional NAT flows couldn't be built. This killed all legitimate use.

If Walter Roberson chimes in, I'd be interested to hear his take on your and my experience. I don't know if there's much that can be done in this scenario. I would have thought that the PIX OS would provide some sort of SYN limiting that would prevent this from happening, so I'm wondering if I missed a nerd-knob to tweak.

Reply to
slim

I thought about Logging. Disabled it completely and still get the same results when I blast one of the inside interfaces with a syn flood.

As for the NAT limit being exhasted, in my case the three way handshake is never complete. The IRC server out on the internet that the exploit is trying to get to doesn't exist. So each connection is still in embryonic state. I don't think defining max connections on the static for these servers (I don't have control over) will help but I haven't tried it.

I'm on the same page as you are looking for a way to limit/drop syn packets if they come at a pace faster than a defined threshold.

Thanks,

Shahid

Reply to
shahidsheikh....com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.