Load-balancing across four T1's on 2 routers

I am setting up the following:

- 2 Cisco 2800 series routers, each has two T-1 internet connections.

- Those 2 routers are also connected to a 100mb layer-3 switch.

- Our firewall will also connected to that layer-3 switch.

- The firewall's' default gateway will be that layer-3 switch.

- The workstations are behind the firewall, and will use the firewall as their default gateway

- OSPF will be running on the 2 routers and the layer-3 switch, and also on 2 routers on the ISP's site.

- The OSPF area will be Totally Stubby, thus the ISP's routers will be advertising default routes into our network.

As long as all four T-1's are up, everything should work fine:

- The workstations will route outbound packets to the firewall

- The firewall will route the packets to the layer-3 switch

- The layer-3 switch is running OSPF and will see two equal cost default routes, and will load-balance traffic between our two routers

- The routers will in turn also have two defaults routes (1 route through each T-1), and load-balance traffic across each T-1

My problem is what happens when one T-1 goes down? Our layer-3 switch will still see equal cost routes and split the traffic across the two routers, even though one router has 1/2 the bandwidth.

Can someone help me with this problem? Please let me know if you have any questions on what I explained above! Here is a diagram of the setup, i hope it looks ok:

R1 R2 (ISP Routers) || || || || (4 total T-1s) || || R1 R2 (Our Routers) | | \\ / \\ / \\ / Layer-3 Switch | | | Firewall | | | Layer-2 Switch | | | | Workstations

Thanks! Sean

Reply to
Sean-Usenet
Loading thread data ...

How many FastEthernet ports on your 2800 routers ?

Reply to
Merv

Maybe you could find solution on one of these links:

- if you have 12.3 IOS see:

formatting link

- if you have 12.4 IOS see:

formatting link

B.R. Igor

Reply to
Igor Mamuzic

I am 99% sure that your layer three switch will see four equal cost routes not two, when one T1 goes down it will then see three routes. Your layer three switch will take this into consideration when making its balancing decision.

James

Igor Mamuzic wrote:

formatting link
or

formatting link

Reply to
James

There may be some additional things to consider ...

What happens if an ISP upstream router becomes partitiononed from the rest of the ISP network - the T1 will stay up but your traffic will be blackholed - believe it happens.

Also what approach is being planned to load balance the traffic across each of the pairs of T1s ?

Reply to
Merv

That depends.

It would be true if the T1s are not bundled and a default route is configured to point to next hop on each of the two T1's

However if MLPPP we used to bundle the T1's for load balanicng then there would only be one default route per 2800 and thus only two in total seen by the layer 3 switch.

Reply to
Merv

Hello

There are 2 FE ports on each router, with only 1 FE port in use.

Merv wrote:

Reply to
Sean-Usenet

Reply to
Sean-Usenet

What is the origin of default route on each 2800 ?

Is it provided by the ISP via a dynamic routing protocol ?

Or is it via static routes configured on the 2800 ?

Reply to
Merv

That being the case and assuming you will be using CEF, be aware that the two T1 will not be evenly load balanced in real time as CEF does per destination load balancing.

Reply to
Merv

Reply to
Sean-Usenet

Hi again Merv, thanks for helping me out with this.

Yea, i understand that by default CEF is per des> > We do not plan on using MLPPP.

Reply to
Sean-Usenet

Well, if I were setting this up, I'm not sure I would need to use the multilayer capabilities of the layer-3 switch. Is the Cisco 2800 capable of GLBP? If so, I would set up GLBP on both of the routers, and make the load-balanced gateway address the default route for the firewall. And then the routers can weigh their traffic capabilities and load balance themselves.

Merv does bring up a good point about needing to mitigate the effects of the ISP losing connectivity.

Reply to
Nathan Harmon

BTW is it one ISP or two ?

Reply to
Merv

Hi Nathan

I looked a little at using GLBP, but I was concerned about how well it would load-balance, since all traffic is going through the firewall.

- When the firewall receives its first packet, it will ARP for the mac of the default gateway

- The GLBP AVG will respond to the arp request with the virtual mac of itself or the other router

- Then the firewall will add this arp response it its arp cache and forward the data packet

- Since the arp response is now stored in the firewall's arp cache, it will not arp again until it expires, thus it will continue to use the same router

In other words, GLBP load-balances on a per source host basis, and unfortunetly becaues of the firewall there is only 1 host.

Does that make sense, or is my logic off somewhere?

Nathan Harm> > I am setting up the following:

Reply to
Sean-Usenet

Reply to
Sean-Usenet

If one of the two ISP routers does come partitioned (eg. its FE port fails) won't it stop sending a default route down the T1s to us?

Since the ISPs routers are configured as ABR and our area is a totally stubby area, the ISPs routers will send a default route to us automatically. Will the ISP's router continue to send a default route even though all its other interfaces are down?

The traffic will be load-balanced across the pair of T1s via equal-cost load-balancing because of OSPF

Merv wrote:

Reply to
Sean-Usenet

Sean

I am sorry for stupid question, but I just can't resist. WHY all that hustle with 4 T1's without MLPP, 2 routers + OSPF, if you have just ONE provider. As far as I understand, you are trying to "invent the wheel", which is design "indestructible" Internet access, or am I wrong? If not, then WHY you want a SINGLE L3 switch (which you don't need) + SINGLE firewall?

Roman

Reply to
nakhmanson

Haha, well I dumbed down the full setup a little bit for simplicity sake.

It is actually not a single L3 switch, it is two L3 switches with redundant 32Gbps interconnects between them. With 1 router going to each switch. The L3 switch is needed because the firewall is not setup to run OSPF.

The firewall is not a single firewall, it is an active/passive firewall cluster. One firewall connects to one of the above L3 switches and one firewall connects to the other L3 switch.

Here is the reason for not using MLPP:

If all four T1s are up, everything would work fine with MLPP. Each router would see a 3Mb connection. The L3 switch would have 2 default routes in its routing table, and perform equal-cost load-balancing. The traffic would also load-balance very nicely across the T1s because of MLPP.

The problem is if we lose one T1. At that point, one router has a

1.5Mb connection and the other still has a 3Mb connection. The L3 switch will then see 2 UN-equal cost default routes in its routing table. Because they are not equal-cost routes, all traffic would be directed to the router that has two operational T1s. The end result is the same as loosing two T1s even though we only lost 1. OSPF only performs equal-cost load-balancing.

Without using MLPP, the L3 switch will still see two equal-cost default routes and route traffic to both routers. Unless of course a router looses both T1s, then it won't receive any traffic since it won't be passing along the default route from the ABR any longer.

The reason for using a L3 switch and not GLBP on the routers is because GLBP load-balances on a per source-host basis. Since the source host is always the firewall, the traffic will always go through the same router.

formatting link

Now that I answered your question, any help with mine? :-)

Thanks Sean

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Sean-Usenet

Hi James

Thanks for the response.

Actually the L3 switch will only see 2 equal-cost routes. The L3 switch will show the 1 default route with a next hop of 1 router and a

2nd default route with a next hop of the other router.

I mocked this up in my lab to be 100% sure. Although, it would have been great if the L3 switch did see 4 routes!

Sean

James wrote:

formatting link
> or

formatting link
>

Reply to
Sean-Usenet

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.