OSPF & CEF next-hops with regards to load balancing.

My current topology is as follows. We have an MSFC that is the default gateway for several internal VLANs. The MSFC also has a "WAN Access" VLAN where two WAN routers (call them RouterA and RouterB) sit. Each of these routers has a T3 to a single router at our remote site. We are running OSPF on the "WAN Access" VLAN, and the two routers and MSFC have an established adjacency. When packets hit the MSFC destined for subnets at the remote site, they have an OSPF equal cost path using either RouterA or RouterB as the next hop. However, CEF is also coming into play. For specific source/destination pairs CEF stores one of the next-hops as its preferred path and naturally always uses this. The problem is that during periods of heavy backup traffic between a particular source/destination, the "preferred" path causes one of the T3s to become fully utilized while the other can remain very underutilized. Can anyone recommend a way to even this traffic out ? Is it even possible given the topology and use of OSPF with CEF ?

Router A ----(T3 WAN)--------| | | | | MSFC--(Eth)---- Remote Router C | | | | Router B ----(T3 WAN)--------|

Reply to
tmcgov05
Loading thread data ...

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 |

=A0 Remote Router C

You need to enable CEF per-packet load-balancing.

Here is the first description I came across -

formatting link
recommend that you read Cisco's own material.

It may be that not all platforms actually support this. I some ways it is best just to try it if you have some down-time since this sort of thing (specific hardware support) can be rather trying to figure out with 100% certainty from the documentation.

I am pretty sure the router will be OK but the 6500 is the one I am worried about.

Reply to
bod43

I thought that per packet load sharing only applies where there are two links on the same router that is making the routing decision. In my topology, the MFSC does not have the WAN links....its next-hops are the routers on the ethernet segment. Will this still work ?

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 |

=A0 Remote Router C

Reply to
tmcgov05

=A0 Remote Router C

I should have mentioned that the possible out of order packets could affect the backup system or other applications adversely. You need to check that it does not get too unhappy. For example you could get a *huge* number of unnecessarily re-transmitted packets.

You might consider as an alternative configuring QoS to prioritise your non-backup traffic.

Finally, remember that TCP in particular is very robust in the presence of oversubscription and my initial reaction would be to consider leaving it as it is unless symptoms (user complaints) were present.

Reply to
bod43

Well it applies wherever any router has two equal cost (or otherwise too) paths. It doesn't care how many hops there are. Your MSFC seems to conform.

Reply to
bod43

I see..so even though the command "ip load-sharing per-packet" is applied on the interface, it really load balances across routing table next-hops via that interface, and doesn't necessarily need multiple directly connected interfaces as next-hops to function. Is that correct ?

Reply to
tmcgov05

This is a very common "problem", but not easy to resolve. You can try per packet load-balancing as described in the other thread, but this can result in other problems which is why it is not the default. Per-packet load-balancing is used when you have equal-cost paths to the same destination, it doesn't matter if they are directly connected or through other routers.

Their are several ways to solve the problem but they all have downsides or differnet levels of complexity. You need to determine which is the most palatable.

1) Do nothing. Unless the backups are impacting other traffic its not a problem. 2) Implement QoS so that backup traffic is a lower priority other traffic. That way if the the backup traffic won't affect your other traffic during times of congestion. This is good idea even if you choose another solution because if one of the T3's goes down you will be in the same boat. 3) Upgrade the bandwidth on the circuits so that each one can carry the full load. This is the simplest and best solution, but the downside is the extra cost. You should look into this as a solution because I have found that 100MB WAN connections are the same (and sometimes cheaper) than a T3. WAN bandwidth costs have been dropping like a rock over the years, and my company is currently getting 1GB/s pipes for less than what a T3 cost 3 years ago. 4) If you have several destination networks at the remote side, you can play with routing metrics sent by Router C so that Router A is prefered on some destinations and Router B is preferred on others. This is complicated and will require you to manually tune the routers. Not a good idea. 5) Implement per-packet or per-destination load-balancing. This could cause other problems because packets can arrive out of order. (This is supported on the 6500 in hardware (if you have the right supervisor and IOS version). If you implement this, you need to keep in mind that weird problems may result, and its not in any way obvious that out-of-order packets is the culprit. Symptoms could be retransmissions, slow data rates, reset connections, and any number of other issues. Not saying it will happen, but you need to be aware of it. It might be that only a single applicatation out of hundreds is affected.
Reply to
Thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.