Nic Teaming Cisco 6k

Hi there..

i am trying to set up a nic teaming on one of our servers. It is directly connected twice to our cisco 6k switch. I teamed and set up the nics to "switch assisted load balancing". Do I have to create a port channel ? And if so how ? I tried to configure a channel in the auto/desirable mode, but they didn´t set up as a group (over PagP) Only if i put the two ports in "channel mode on" they join a group. But i noticed a reduce in throuput..... What is the best way to configure including the idea to get speed "doubled" ??

Thx in advance

Michael

Reply to
Michael Müller
Loading thread data ...

Hi there..

i am trying to set up a nic teaming on one of our servers. It is directly connected twice to our cisco 6k switch. I teamed and set up the nics to "switch assisted load balancing". Do I have to create a port channel ? And if so how ? I tried to configure a channel in the auto/desirable mode, but they didn=B4t set up as a group (over PagP) Only if i put the two ports in "channel mode on" they join a group. But i noticed a reduce in throuput..... What is the best way to configure including the idea to get speed "doubled" ??

Thx in advance

Michael

For CatOS, this should help you:

formatting link
If it is IOS, the most important thing to remember is to turn the channel mode to "on" and make sure you change the packet distribution method to source mac. I think the default on the 6500 is destination mac which will give you lopsided results for sure, because virtually everything going to that channel is destined for the same mac address - your host.

Reply to
Kevin Widner

"Kevin Widner" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com... Hi there..

i am trying to set up a nic teaming on one of our servers. It is directly connected twice to our cisco 6k switch. I teamed and set up the nics to "switch assisted load balancing". Do I have to create a port channel ? And if so how ? I tried to configure a channel in the auto/desirable mode, but they didn´t set up as a group (over PagP) Only if i put the two ports in "channel mode on" they join a group. But i noticed a reduce in throuput..... What is the best way to configure including the idea to get speed "doubled" ??

Thx in advance

Michael

For CatOS, this should help you:

formatting link
If it is IOS, the most important thing to remember is to turn the channel mode to "on" and make sure you change the packet distribution method to source mac. I think the default on the 6500 is destination mac which will give you lopsided results for sure, because virtually everything going to that channel is destined for the same mac address - your host.

Hi,

true, but the command set port channel all distribution mac source will set all channels to that distribution method ?!?? What, if there are other channels (say switch to switch) for whom this isn´t desired ?

Reply to
Michael Müller

There are several distribution methods. But in the case of having channels to both switches and servers on the same switch, the best bet is probably to use : set port channel all distribution mac both

You can use options such as IP, or even "session" (layer 4 info) but from what I understand the deeper look you take into the packet would probably come at the cost of performance. I doubt a huge performance hit, but still.....

These options don't exist on the lower model switches (29xx, 35xx models).

Reply to
Kevin Widner

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.