Configuring Cisco for LACP and Trunking?

We're trying to configure our Cisco 4507 to allow a new Dell server with a pair of Broadcom Gig NIC's to aggregate its NIC's to give us a 2gbps link.

So far we seem to have got the team and LACP up and enabled, but the adaptor that the Broadcom Admin Util creates for the team is only showing a 1gbps connection where I would have expected it to show as

2gbps.

The individual NICs show as connected at 1gbps.

We're not Cisco experts so are struggling on how to get the 2 NICs to aggregate.

This is what I think the relevent output from "sho conf" is, more available if needed.

On the server side we've done nothing in the Broadcom drivers other than create a team using 802.3ad Link Aggregation using LACP.

version 12.2 boot system flash bootflash:cat4000-i9s-mz.122-18.EW1.bin ! interface Port-channel2 description "Main Server link" switchport switchport mode access ! interface GigabitEthernet4/4 switchport mode access spanning-tree portfast channel-group 2 mode active channel-protocol lacp ! interface GigabitEthernet4/20 switchport mode access spanning-tree portfast channel-group 2 mode active channel-protocol lacp !

Any help would be appreciated

Reply to
Usenet
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

Forget about it ...

first: you connect your 2 NICs to the same switch, and what goes wrong when this switch blows ?. if you want redundancy connect to two different switches. second: I would be greatly surprised if you are even close at utilizing ONE gigabit NIC ! so why you want two, when you can't use one ?! What you should go for is redundancy/resilient links, hence you should configure failover as an active/standby senarium. sometimecalled adapter fault tolerance or network fault tolerance. Allthough I think it's different in the broadcom chips/util'

HTH Martin Bilgrav

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

Thanks for the reply.

The main reason is not for client activity but to get as much network capacity in/out of the server as possible for backups.

The server has an LTO3 library attached with a pair of LTO3 HH drives in it, so in theory if we're running 2 jobs at once we could (and I admit I don't know in advance how likely this is so it's very much "in theory") max out a single gigabit NIC from another server with a gig ethernet NIC into the switch, hence I thought aggregating a pair was a wise move.

Load balancing/fault tolerance only provided redundancy doesn't it, there's no aggregation?

Reply to
Usenet

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.