network browser problem error 6118

Hi, all,

I have subnets in the network which contains PIX firewall and layer 3 switch (Cat4506) , but only one subnet ( say 172.27.5.0/24 ) can not be browsed from the "My Network places".

This subnet has no networking server.

Some findings from the network:

1. when I used the DOS command "net view \\172.27.5.51" from the same subnet or outside the subnet, I got the result: There are no entries in the list

1. in the same subnet ( 172.27.5.0/24 ), I used the DOS command "net view", I got the result System error 6118 has occurred. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available

2. While browsing the subnet from the "My network places" of any XP workstation, I got the result: Hello is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

Any idea or solution ?

Thanks so much

Reply to
bensonlei
Loading thread data ...

I'm assuming you are not running Active Directory, so you need a WINS server, and all of your clients configure to use it. Google or search Microsoft for "WINS", "nbns" and "netbios name server".

Reply to
Thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.