Multichassis Multilink-PPP with leased-lines?

Hello,

has anybody tried to bundle two leased-line on 2 cisco routers with multichassis multilink-ppp? At cisco.com multichassis mppp is only mentioned regarding dial-in / Access-Server.

Topology:

R1 / \\ / \\ LL1 LL2 | | R2---HSRP---R3 | | LAN

At the moment, the link R3-R1 (LL2) is only used for redundancy, the traffic from the LAN is routed via R2-R1. This direction need´s more bandwidth...

Regards,

Karsten

Reply to
Karsten Fischer
Loading thread data ...

You can use it BUT I would not recommend it. Since the other side of the T1's both go to the same router, I would move the LL1 link to R3 and you will be able to share both the T1's bandwidth. You loose nothing by doing this since your design already has a single point of failure.

The problem with multi-chassis multi-link PPP is that all the traffic from R2 would need to go to R1 (or vice-versa), and it will add quite a bit of delay. (This is how Multichassis PPP works) On low-bandwidth connections, this is acceptable because adding 10 or 20ms of delay on a link that already has 100 to 200ms of serialization delay is not an issue. On a T1 your serialization delay is less than 10ms, so adding another 10ms of delay is a big deal.

Scott

Reply to
Thrill5

Hmm. Can you explain this in more detail? My understanding of multichassis mlppp is, that the Packets from leased-line LL2 (R3-R1) would be tunneled from R3 to R2, so that R2 can distribute the packets on the pysical and on this "virtual link". Because the tunnel between R2 and R3 is established over Ethernet, there would be no delay...

Regards,

Karsten

Reply to
Karsten Fischer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.