Multicast packet counters question.

Anyone know if it is valid to have a Multicast group configured on a Cisco device yet have no traffic for that group? I am seeing some Catalyst 4006 devices with some groups in the IPM table but they have a value of 0 for the ipmRoutePkts. I was wondering how the groups got in there if there were no packets. These are for Group/Src entries with 0.0.0.0 as the src so this should be for any source on the group.

Thanks, Pat

Reply to
Pat
Loading thread data ...

Yes. Some groups are default.

Reply to
Lutz Donnerhacke

These were for non-default groups.

The counters had values on some devices but not others. I was wondering if Cisco somehow added the groups to all the routers, or maybe if the 4006 devices had some problems updating it's counters. Even though some other 4006 devices had counter in them.

Reply to
Pat

Which one?

Reply to
Lutz Donnerhacke

Several - 228.1.0.28, 230.2.1.5, 230.3.0.3, and a lot more like these.

Reply to
Pat

They are not default, they come from your client systems: show igmp groups.

Reply to
Lutz Donnerhacke

I said they were non-default. I just wondered how they got on the router without any packet counter being incremented.

Reply to
Pat

If a client subscribe the group, the router will show you those entries. If no sender feeds this group (or the TTL is to low to reach this router), the counters remain zero.

Reply to
Lutz Donnerhacke

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.