vlan and multicast

Hello

Let a switch with 3 port based vlans, vlan id 1, 2 and 3 with IGMP snooping (basic layer 2 network) On vlan 1 and 2 there are video multicast sources. A video monitor connected on vlan 3 should be able to receive both multicast stream. If the port where video monitor is connected belong to vlan 1, 2 and 3, could the video monitor receive both streams after IGMP registration ? What are the pros and cons ? Thanks for your help.

Another question : are source address of multicast frames translated with NAT ? If yes how to identify the source of the multicast once gone through the NAT ?

dk

Reply to
dkhrone
Loading thread data ...

homework time?

IGMP is about devices telling the local router interface what groups they want.

multicast routing is then needed to pass multicast packets between them

So - not unless there is a L3 box somewhere to act as a multicast router (which is probably what would handle the IGMP stuff).

and on some Cisco boxes multicast requires an additional licence - eg if the VLAN switch is a Cat 3560 / 3750 then it will need whatever Cisco are calling an enhanced image this week.

er - it doesnt work unless you add more functionality?

not if they dont pass thru a NAT function :)

If yes how to identify the source of the multicast once gone

Reply to
stephen

not really, I plan to buy a used ethernet switch that could deals with vlan (port based) and IGMP but I prefer to be sure I will the get what I need. On 2 different VLAN, I have two stations with USB webcam that multicast video stream. I want to monitor these streams from a 3rd vlan. Because a VLAN define a broadcast domain, I was thinking that if the port where the monitoring station is connected could be in several VLANs (1 2 and 3) at the same time, it could receive stream of vlan 1 after IGMP registration and/or stream from VLAN 2 after another IGMP registration. Adding a layer 3 box may be more expensive.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
dkhrone

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.