Multicast/IGMP switch operation

Hi All, I need some advice concerning the correct operation for multicast and IGMP groups. Basically, my problem is that I have 2 Level 3 switches that operate differently for the same multicast traffic and I'm trying to work out why. However, first I need to understand what the correct operation should be.

Here are 2 scenarios. Which is correct?. The setup is say 5 PCs connected to a Level 3 switch with IGMP and IGMP snooping enabled.

1). Scenario 1 . PC 1 transmits a stream of multicast messages. The switch broadcasts these messages to all PCs (ie. the multicast messages are treated like broadcast messages).

2). Scenario 2. PC 1 transmits a stream of multicast messages. The switch acknowledges the multicast message but currently has no record of any of the other 4 PC joining this multicast group and therefore does not broadcast the messages to the other PCs. At a later time one of the PC can join the multicast group (via IGMP 'join') and receive the messages.

Which of these is the correct operation?. Basically, I want to get behvaiour 2 but I am experiencing behaviour 1.

Any ideas?.

Thanks in advance, Dave

Reply to
Dave
Loading thread data ...

Multicast traffic only arrives at workstations listening for that multicast traffic. It is not broadcast to everyone.

Flamer.

Reply to
die.spam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.