Migrating existing WLCs to WCS

I'm working for a client that has probably 8 or 9 sites, each with a

4402 WLC. They're now talking about implementing a WCS. Is there a way to add these production WLCs easily, or do we need to wipe their configurations and add them to the WCS server as if they were new?

Thanks!

Reply to
pfisterfarm
Loading thread data ...

Well... As usual, the answer is - it depends :-)

On one hand you can import WLC configuration into WCS. It will produce lots of randomly named configuration entries. But time wise this option takes few mouse clicks. Obviously this is typical quick and dirty approach.

Another way is to configure all required parameters via WCS. You can do the audit along the way to get the difference between WCS and WLC configs. Takes much more time, but end results should be very manageable and easy to understand configuration.

Third way is just add WLC to WCS for monitoring purposes and ignore configuration aspect of WCS completely. But why bother with WCS in that case?

Regards, Andrey.

Reply to
Andrey Tarasov

All you need to do keep one configuration entry for each configuration option and delete the rest, then reapply the configuration entry to each WLC.

If you do this, then you will then need to go back to each WLC and re-configure those items that are unique to that WLC. The former method is easier.

WCS is great for monitoring WLC's and AP's and standardizing 95% of the WLC configuration, but it is still easier to configure many things on each WLC directly. There are bugs in WCS when applying configuration entries created in WCS and to a controller (like configuring AAA settings), where they just wont apply correctly to the controller. You also can't correctly assign WLANs to interfaces, configure mobility groups, assign names to AP's, configure primary, secondary, or teriary WLC's to AP's, etc. WCS is a great tool, but you can't use it exclusively to manage all aspects of a WLC. In my opinion WCS is a great tool, but not worth it unless you also use it for the wireless security aspects of the product.

Reply to
Thrill5

Unless you want different things on different controllers. So you will have to remember the difference between Switching12345 and Switching45678, as an example.

You can handle it via WCS.

Hmm... Are we talking about the same product? I never had a single problem you've mentioned. Disclaimer - I'm using 4.1 and 4.2 MD releases.

Regards, Andrey.

Reply to
Andrey Tarasov

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.